What is the OG Program?
GSEE is committed to enhancing equity and social progression to promote the recruitment and success of graduate students of color at our Bothell, Seattle and Tacoma campuses.
The Outreaching Grads (OG) Program is a comprehensive and collaborative outreach and recruitment program housed in GSEE of the Graduate School. The OG Program is a corps of Black, Latinx, Native American and Pacific Islander graduate students who support GSEE, academic departments, and student organizations to enhance outreach and recruitment efforts for prospective and incoming underrepresented graduate students. The goal of the OG Program is to introduce Black, Latinx, Native American and Pacific Islander graduate students to numerous opportunities and resources that help build community and increase racial and ethnic diversity within the graduate student pipeline. *The OG Program attempts to serve UW Bothell and UW Tacoma as well as UW Seattle; however, UWT and UWB engagement depends on the availability and participation of UWT and UWB graduate students.
The OG Program focuses on three key tenets:
- Proactive Black, Latinx, Native American and Pacific Islander outreach and recruitment efforts tied to building community and increasing the graduate student of color pipeline
- Investment in professional development opportunities
- Strengthen tri-campus partnerships
What is the role of an OG?
OGs are trained to lead and support prospective, incoming, and current underrepresented graduate students in navigating the numerous aspects and phases of graduate school. They provide a personal lens as well as meaningful guidance on living in the Pacific Northwest, communicating in virtual spaces (as applicable), and finding academic and relevant resources. To aid in assessing graduate student needs and to cultivate an inclusive campus community, OGs can assist in the following ways:
- Connect and share opportunities and resources with prospective underrepresented graduate students (virtually and/or in-person)
- Participate in professional development seminars, leadership training, and social justice workshops
- Share graduate opportunities with UW registered student organizations to help build the graduate student pipeline
- Engage in graduate student panels, public speaking and recruitment events, and networking engagements
How can a department request the assistance of an OG?
We are happy to send OGs to departmental functions or have them visit one-on-one with prospective students or groups. We do ask, however, that your request be submitted one week in advance. To request that an OG meet with or contact your prospective student(s), please complete the OG Request Form below.