The Graduate School has a limited supply of discretionary tuition waivers.
This request process IS NOT for:
- Tuition waivers for Academic Student Employees (e.g., TAs, RAs, SAs)
- Tuition waivers from GSEE
- Non-Resident Differential (NRD) tuition waivers
- A graduate student who has been awarded a nationally competitive, individually awarded, significantly funded fellowship that provides limited to no tuition support. Contact the Graduate School Office of Fellowships & Awards with questions about eligible fellowships.
- Special circumstances determined in advance in consultation with the Graduate School Office of Fellowships & Awards.
Requirements and Limitations
- These tuition waivers cover the resident operating portion of tuition. The waiver will cover additional fees only if the fellowship sponsor indicates it is required.
- Before contributing waivers, the Graduate School expects that any institutional or cost-of-education allowance provided by the fellowship be spent first on benefits and tuition.
- These tuition waivers cannot be used with foreign-sponsored fellowships.
- These tuition waivers are dependent on the availability of funds, which varies on an annual basis.
- In summer quarter, tuition waivers will only be provided for a maximum of two credits.
How To Request Waivers
Waiver requests are made to The Graduate School by departments. Students wishing to be considered for a tuition waiver should contact their Graduate Program Adviser. To request awards, departments should:
- You will need access to request awards in MyGrad (request MyGrad access).
- Gather required documentation, including:
- Fellowship offer letter stating the specific components of the fellowship (stipend, institutional allowance, etc.,)
- If applicable, sponsor requirements of the institution (e.g., does the fellowship require that the student not be charged tuition?)
- Calculate the amount of funds requested.
- If the fellowship includes an allowance that may be used for insurance and tuition, allocate the funds first to benefits (if the student needs insurance).
- Allocate any remaining funds to tuition.
- The request amount for the tuition waiver should be the amount of tuition remaining AFTER the allowance has been allocated as outlined above.
- Make the request in MyGrad: “View Admin” > “Awards” > “Requests” > “Request New Award” > “General Tuition Waiver”
Any questions about eligibility or the tuition waiver process can be directed to the Office of Fellowships & Awards.